Summary

'All the world's a stage'- and all of my shows are comedies. Welcome to my Wacky World, which is a collection of the mad, funny and sometimes slightly unbelievable things that happen to me.

Thursday 8 August 2013

In Case of Emergency, Don't Break Bones

I took the afternoon off work today to get a head start on tidying the house for a friend who's coming to stay for a couple of days from tomorrow. Being home alone for a bit, I figured I'd need a little extra time to be able to tidy everything.

Operation: Cleanup wasn't going so well. I'd already completely obliterated a very old saucer that didn't so much shatter as explode in all directions like a shrapnel bomb, and I hadn't even started yet: I'd only just gotten home and started to unload the dishwasher.

Next, after wasting valuable time sweeping my previously nice clean floor, I attempted to water the garden as it had been dry and sunny for the last couple of days, with no sign of rain to come for a while. That went wrong, too: the garage door jammed, leaving me unable to access the hose pipe- resulting in me doggedly watering the entire garden with a medium-sized watering can.

I'd just finished watering the tomatoes in their plant pots when I remembered the hanging baskets out at front. Already exhausted, overheated from the sun, hair sticking out at odd angles from my ponytail and having not even started truly cleaning the house itself, I retrieved the smaller watering can. I filled it, trouped through the house, opened the front door and got to work.

The wind blew. *SLAM*.

I turned around to find the front door in my face.

And realised that, for the first time in my existence, I'd gone out without my keys.

It was one of those moments where your brain takes a few seconds to process the situation. I stood, dumbly, staring at the door in front of me with the watering can still tilted into one of the hanging baskets. A drop of water landed on my sandal-ed foot, and I snapped to attention. I was locked out! Stupid, stupid! Alright, focus! What were my options?

Remembering that I'd left the kitchen door unlocked from watering (but knowing I'd somehow have to get past the locked garden gate), I made my way to the side and back of the house. I set the watering can down, kicked my flimsy sandals off and attempted to scale the gate- with no luck. It was too high and devoid of footholds, and the angle at which I was coming at it was putting too much force on the thin top of the gate. Not feeling like breaking my neck today, I turned the recycling bin by the gate upside-down and tried to use it as a boost. Still too short!

I had an idea: if I could reach over far enough, I might be able to knock the bolt back with the watering can and let myself in. As I was thinking of asking any neighbours that were at home (it only being 4pm and most still at work), I remembered something: my aunt and uncle! Years and years ago I remember my mum mentioning them having spare keys. It was a long shot: this was way back when I was a child- but it was better than nothing- and at very least they'd have a step ladder and were likely to be in, since it's the school holidays at the moment and they have two girls at school.

So I shuffled back into my sandals and off I went, walking to their house. It's only a five-minute walk, but  it felt longer thanks to my footwear: these sandals were of the cheap, poorly-made sort that I only use to nip out into the garden with. The straps had already begun to cheese-wire into the tops of my feet, but I was able to ignore the pain and instead focus on how horribly hot the sun was overhead.

Luckily my aunt was in. As I feared, they no longer had the spare keys to my house- but they did have a stepladder. Assuring my aunt that I had everything under control, I hoisted the thing over my shoulder and set off back to my house, passing a few puzzled local pedestrians on the way.

Hoping in vain there weren't any police people about or suspicious passers-by, I set the ladder by the back gate, kicked the stupid sandals off again and climbed. I was still too short to get a leg up! But at least I could lean over a bit and see the bolt, now. I scooted back down, grabbed the watering can and scooted back. Holding the spout, I attempted to hook the bolt with the opening of the watering can to slide it back.

Unfortunately the watering can was that little big too short to reach, and I ended up knocking the catch of the bold upside-down and flat against the door. Now what?

I climbed down, and Macgyver-style started looking through the recycling bin, hoping to find something I could make some sort of rudimentary lasso with in order to hook the bolt back up. Alas, there was nothing but newspapers and a small empty tissue box.

Then I thought: a coat hanger! If I can find someone who has one of those wire coat hangers, I could bend that into shape quite well, and it'd be long enough too. Putting my sandals back on (by now my feet were pretty cut up), I started pushing doorbell buttons- but to no avail. No-one was back from work yet. How far was I going to have to walk to find someone?

Just as I resigned myself to more foot torture, I saw a white van pull up down the road: Mick and Paul! Two family friends, also a builder and plumber who'd sorted our kitchen extension out for us. They were looking at me curiously (I realised I was walking about with the watering can still in my hand), and with an almost absurd calm I strolled up to them.

"Hey, Tash! Paul said. "You alright?"

"Not really," I replied, grinning sheepishly. "I've gone and locked myself out of my house. I don't suppose either of you have a wire coat hanger lying around, do you?"

 "Coat hanger?"

I explained what had happened, and how I intended to infiltrate my own garden. Paul asked me if the kitchen door was unlocked, and grinned when I confirmed that it was.

"Let's see what I can do."

We walked back to the garden gate, where Paul climbed the ladder and vaulted the fence like it was nothing. *CLICK*, and I was in! Thanking Paul profusely for saving my skin (or at least a fair bit of money from having to call a locksmith), I darted in, put the watering can back in its rightful place, changed into less painful shoes, grabbed my keys and took the ladder back to my aunt in my car.

Like I said before, I've never, ever set foot out of the house without my keys before, even for watering the hanging baskets. I think I was just so flustered by the way the day was going I just got carried away. Anyway, I felt satisfied knowing that I'd made the plants happy, even though I had a tough time doing it.

But do you know what the real kicker was? About an hour later it started to rain.

~Fin~

No comments:

Post a Comment