Summary

'All the world's a stage'- and all of my shows are comedies. Welcome to my Wacky World, which is a collection of the mad, funny and sometimes slightly unbelievable things that happen to me.

Saturday 23 June 2012

Of Entertaining Train Journeys and Stoners...

I can almost never have a normal train journey. Every time I'm on a train, I'm pretty much guaranteed a show of some kind, from having to sit next to a weirdo (and I mean weirdo as in unpleasantly strange this time, not endearingly strange), to witnessing something amazing. This by far is one of my favourites so far.

I was on my way back from visiting Birmingham, in which a good percentage of my friends live (I studied at university there and lived there for five years in total). I had a double seat to myself, there were no screaming children or people playing music loudly on their mobile phones, and all was well.

About an hour into the journey, a huge towering guy with a thick Jamaican accent and rastacap hat (and clearly stoned legless by the smell of him) came slowly staggering down the aisle, laboriously grabbing the backs of the seats as he went along to keep himself upright. This is it, I thought, this is going to be one of my moments, I know it- he's going to come over and talk to me, and probably sit next to me. However although this sort of thing does happen to me, I was wrong this time- because just as this guy reached my row of seats, the ticket inspector came.

The ticket inspector gave a polite 'excuse me' to the stoner, but it was no use: he wouldn't budge. Now a little annoyed, the inspector asked to see his ticket. This is where it gets good.

Stoner dude nodded and loudly slurred 'I will do magic for you'. He procured what looked like a bingo scoresheet from his back pocket, did a few grand hand gestures, made it disappear, and made it reappear under his hat (to his credit, it was a good trick). The conductor made him buy a real ticket after some argument from stoner dude, who clearly regarded his bingo sheet as a proper ticket. The inspector, his job now done as far as he was concerned, tried to move on- it was then that stoner dude grabbed his arm in an affectionate bear hug and declared 'I'm never letting go!'

When the inspector managed to shake himself free, he quite speedily retreated backwards, to which stoner dude called after him with genuine concern: 'Hey mister ticket man, you're going the wrong way!' He then laughed himself silly for a full minute, stared silently at something on the ceiling for another, then made his way back down the train, all the while clinging for dear life onto the seats to stay upright.

It was brilliant, my face was red from trying not to laugh, especially at the Britishness of the people around in the carriage trying to pretend that the whole thing just wasn't happening!

I doubt this will be the only weird train story I post here- but it's certainly going to be hard to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment